Almond Burger Buns

Low Carb Burger Buns

Almond Burger Buns

These burger buns are the real deal. They’re now my go-to whenever I’m in the mood for a low carb sandwich or, of course, a burger! Don’t be tempted to try them without the psyllium – it’s really the critical ingredient for getting the light soft, burger bun texture (it also adds lots of fiber!)

makes: 4
takes: 80 minutes

100g (3.5oz) almond meal
25g (1oz) psyllium
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 egg whites* (120g / 4oz)
1 cup boiling water
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
sesame seeds to sprinkle (optional)

1. Preheat your oven to 180C (350F). Line a tray with baking paper.

2. Mix almond meal, psyllium, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Add egg whites, boiling water and vinegar. Stir until just combined. Stand for 5 minutes to allow the mixture to cool and the psyllium to absorb the water.

3. Divide mixture into 4 and form each into a little disc about the diameter of a burger bun. I find using wet hands helps stop it being too messy. Place discs on your prepared tray. Sprinkle with sesame seeds (if using).

4. Bake buns for 55-60 minutes or until well browned and risen. To double check they should sound hollow, like a loaf of baked bread when you tap on the bottoms.

5. When the buns are cooked cool on a rack to stop the bottoms going soggy.

Variations

* no egg whites – you can use 2 whole eggs instead (the buns texture will be slightly heavier but still delicious!)

nut-free / budget – Replace almond meal with finely ground sunflower seeds (I use a little coffee grinder) – expect a longer baking time.

larger batch – I often double the batch to make more for freezing. Cut in half cross wise before freezing so you can easily defrost in the toaster.

no apple cider vinegar – you can skip it, or use a wine vinegar – something that tastes good but not balsamic!

no psyllium – Don’t be tempted to try them without the psyllium – it’s really the critical ingredient for getting the light soft, burger bun texture (it also adds lots of fiber!)

Shelf Life / Storage

Keeps for 1 week in the fridge or indefinitely in the freezer. Just warm in the toaster or your oven before serving.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Kim May 8, 2018

Hi Jules-
I’ve made these several times now, and every time the top puffs up beautifully…but when I cut them, the top is just a skin, and all the mixture is clumped down at the bottom, slightly soggy, and hasn’t risen properly. They are still edible, but really only for sandwiches and not for burgers.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?!

jules May 9, 2018

Hi Kim!

If they’re soggy in the middle still then baking longer will help.

I’m afraid though that’s the nature of these buns that you get a big air bubble in the middle. I think of it as having a pocket to stuff with yummy things. I use them like this for burgers all the time and they’re delicious. Have you tried them as a burger bun yet?

Sarah Phelps May 7, 2018

Would love a coconut flour version Jules! Almond meal is so expensive! 😐
(I use it a lot for muffins etc, but am always looking for cheaper alternatives, and have been having good successes with coconut flour muffins! But haven’t made it to bread yet…)

jules May 7, 2018

Thanks Sarah!
I’ve been buying my almond meal in bulk (7kg) and it’s significantly cheaper.
However, a coconut flour version would definitely be helpful for me too given Fergals pre-school is nut-free.
Watch this space

Jessica March 3, 2018

Hi Jules, I have been trying to find psyllium and not have much luck in my town. On Amazon there is ground ( or powdered psyllium) or psyllium husks. Which do you use? I found oat bran, but I don’t think it is the right stuff- 27 g carb for 1/3 cup? Thanks! Jessica

jules March 5, 2018

Hey Jessica! I use husks but either will work in this recipe. They’re the same thing the powder is just more finely ground and since were using weight to measure the density doesn’t matter.
And oat bran won’t work because it doesn’t absorb moisture in the same way as psyllium.
Let me know how you get on!

Susan December 7, 2017

I’m not necessariiy looking for low carb, but I’m sick of regular bread/buns. I’m supposed to be making turkey burgers for lunch today, and dreading the buns. I bought some so I’ll use them, but I think I’d like these a lot better.

jules December 8, 2017

They’re really good Susan!
Let me know what you think when you try them

Susan Stone August 23, 2019

Tried them today, and love them. Especially since I am now doing low carb. They came out nice and soft, well risen and easy to slice. I did have one issue with them: when I added the water, I sort of ended up with a thick soup. I ended up adding small handfuls of almond flour until the dough seemed to be the proper stiffness. Since I weighed and measured everything, I’m not sure why I ended up with that problem, but thanks to my extensive bread making experience, they came out wonderfully. And my husband liked them (I’m not sure he realized that they are low carb). Thank you for a keeper recipe.

jules August 23, 2019

Glad you liked them Susan!

But sounds like it was your good baking skills that made the difference here. 🙂

The mixture is quite soupy at first and then the psyllium absorbs it so it becomes thicker. I’m wondering if there’s a difference between your psyllium and mine?

Susan Stone August 29, 2019

My psyllium is whole husks. It could be that I needed to wait awhile for the psyllium to absorb? I will be making them again tomorrow, so I’ll give the dough time to absorb water, and only add more almond flour if it doesn’t thicken properly. Thanks for mentioning that.

Christy Maier June 9, 2017

I made these this week and loved them. They are soft, delicious and easy to make. Great low carb burger bun! Thanks, Jules!

jules June 14, 2017

So glad you liked them Christy!

Lucia Arguelles April 20, 2017

Great recipe, so fast to prepare!!! Mine cooked much quicker (half the time) and I thought they might have been ruined.. but they were really great and they kept really well in the fridge. I will try them again soon to perfection them. And will try with the coconut flour too. Thank you for sharing

jules April 27, 2017

Interesting they cooked so quickly Lucia! Thx for sharing 🙂

Jenna Avery February 28, 2017

This recipe is a GAME CHANGER. I’m in love! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I was wondering the same thing as Laurie about the boiling water cooking the eggs. I decided to stir the eggs into the other ingredients before adding the boiling water and it seemed to work just fine.

I had them with ‘sloppy joes’ last night and then again today as a low carb Eggs Benedict with leftover Caesar dressing from my roasted broccoli and chicken from your other (delish!) recipe.

Do you think this might work with coconut flour too?

Thanks, Jules.

jules March 2, 2017

Oh yay Jenna! So glad you liked them.
Have been meaning to try a coconut flour version to make it nut free for when I need to make school lunches… will definitely have to try it now!

Sarah Phelps May 7, 2018

Ooo! I would love a coconut flour version Jules! Almond meal is so expensive! ?

Laurie Fleming February 23, 2017

Just curious, does the boiling water not “cook” the egg whites when you add them?

jules March 2, 2017

No it doesn’t cook them as such Laurie – but I usually stir as soon as the water is added.
Great question!