Goats Cheese & Basil Omelette

goats cheese & basil omelette

Goats Cheese & Basil Omelette

It’s hard to go past an omelette when you feel like a super quick, healthy meal. The possibilities are endless when it comes to additions and flavours but this goats cheese and basil combo is one of my all time favourites.

per person:
takes: 15 minutes

3 eggs
50g (2oz) goats cheese
5-6 basil leaves
large handful salad leaves to serve, optional

1. Preheat a small frying pan or omelette pan on a medium high heat.

2. Lightly whisk eggs in a bowl. Season.

3. Add a few glugs of oil or butter to the pan. Add eggs and cook for about 30 seconds. If they’re sizzling too rapidly, turn the heat down.

4. After 30 seconds gently bring the cooked edges of the egg into the centre and let the raw egg flow out to the edges.

5. Top with goats cheese. When the egg is mostly cooked and set (about 1 minute or a little longer), slide the omelette onto your plate. Sprinkle over basil.

6. Serve with accompaniments on the side.

Variations

different cheese – finely grated parmesan, cheddar, ricotta, cottage cheese, crumbled feta, blue cheese.

vegetables / dairy-free – replace goats cheese with halved cherry tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, cooked mushrooms, artichoke hearts in oil, finely shaved asparagus, shaved fennel, cooked zucchini or leftover roast potatoes.

carnivore -drape proscuitto over the omelette, or finely sliced salami, diced cooked bacon, or shredded cooked chicken.

fishy – replace cheese with smoked salmon, smoked trout, salmon roe, caviar, canned sardines, smoked oysters, cooked crab meat, lobster, canned tuna, canned salmon.

different herbs – lemony sorrel, thyme, basil, parsley, mint.

different accompaniments – baby spinach, salad leaves, shaved fennel, shaved zucchini, shredded kale, wilted kale, wilted spinach, a glass of wine!

vegan – try scrambled tofu instead.

richer – use butter instead of the oil and add a few tablespoons of cream or sour cream as you whisk the eggs.

carb lovers / more substantial
– serve with hot buttered toast.

more substantial (low carb) – add more eggs and some roast walnuts or almonds.

paleo (grain, legume & dairy-free) – replace goats cheese with halved cherry tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, cooked mushrooms or some roast almonds.

more veg – add mushrooms or tomatoes to omelette.

Leftover Potential?

Not great. Best when hot from the pan but you could keep in the fridge if needed. Gently reheat in the oven or in a pan.

Problem Solving Guide

eggs sticking to the base of the pan – eggs have a tendency to stick. Be generous with the oil or butter and use either a nonstick pan or a well seasoned omelette pan.

eggs rubbery – the first sign that eggs are overcooked is the texture goes all rubbery. Next time take the pan off the heat before you think the eggs are cooked AND use a lower heat to begin with.

eggs watery – when eggs get overcooked, the protein coagulates and squeezes out any excess moisture which results in water weeping out from your eggs. Not much you can do now, but next time take the pan off the heat before you think the eggs are done. The residual heat will be enough to finish them off.

too bland – season with a little more salt & pepper. Also make sure you’re using the best quality free range eggs you can afford.

Waste Avoidance Strategy

eggs – will keep in the fridge for a month or so. Or use for another meal.

goats cheese – keeps for months unopened in its packet. Or can be frozen.

basil – make basil oil by packing washed and dried leaves in a clean jar and covering with

olive oil – keep in the pantry.

salad leaves – are highly perishable. My first path would be to use them for another meal (salad for breakfast!) but if that isn’t possible you can pop them in the freezer. They will wilt down but can then be used anywhere you’d use wilted greens. At least this way they won’t go slimy.

Serving Suggestions

Best served HOT straight from the pan with a wicked glass of white wine.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
dashboard module icons5 module icons6 module icons7 module icons8 module icons9 module icons10 module icons3

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Kelly Tackett May 30, 2017

I did this as a feta and basil egg bake for my husband, for breakfast over multiple days. After having some of it for breakfast the first day, my husband was amazed, wondering where I got the recipe, and encouraging me to make it again. Soon. Really, really soon. So this turned out very well!

jules June 1, 2017

Wonderful Kelly!

Kathleen March 7, 2017

I tried this for breakfast this morning with butter lettuce on the side. It was very tasty! I love goat cheese but found 2 oz to be a lot–I will halve the amount next time. Omelettes are a favorite of mine for breakfast so I’ll definitely be making this with tomatoes and other proteins in the future.

jules March 9, 2017

Great Kathleen!
I like the goats cheese to be quite substantial but you can certainly reduce if you find it too much.
It’s great with roasted tomatoes and feta or with smoked salmon and a little dill.

Libby November 3, 2015

Hi Jules,
I’ve been a member of StoneSoup in some form or another since early days. I’ve loved your blog and your videos for years. But, frankly, I haven’t fixed very many of your recipes…until recently.
I live in Sacramento, CA and since you’ve lived in this area I’m sure you know about our food philosophy: fresh, seasonal, local and best of all, simple! A perfect match for the StoneSoup way. I don’t know what my block has been. We’re real foodies in our house and I think I just couldn’t trust the 5-ingredient ethos. I didn’t think my family would be satisfied. Well, now my 2 daughters are grown and gone and my husband travels 2 to 3 weeks per month for work. So I made the leap of faith and subscribed to your meal plan program. I figured I could try them out on myself and then maybe ease into fixing the menus for others after I felt comfortable with the recipes.
A few weeks worth of meal plans hit my inbox somewhat unnoticed. Then, one day I was just so sick of figuring out what to put on my shopping list and I realized I had this great resource at my fingertips. It was time to try it out.
My first meal was Pork Chops with Pico de Gallo. I remember bringing my plate out to my deck, sitting down and taking my first bite. I was stunned by the deliciousness and even more so by the realization that 15 minutes ago I hadn’t even taken anything out of the fridge! It was so good and so easy and even though I have to eat so many meals alone at home I deserved to eat this well, to take care that I enjoy my dinners even when I’m only cooking for me! It was a revelation.
My next meal was the delicious Pork Ragu (the butter is such a brilliant add) which I enjoyed over spaghetti squash. I fixed my next meal on a night when my husband was home…Tray-baked Salmon with Spuds. Now, I’m a good cook and he’s used to eating well at home. He commented on how especially good it was. He loved it! No question about it!
My last surprise was when I opened my email last Thursday and noticed what a palpable thrill zinged through me when I saw my next meal plan had arrived. Excitement, anticipation and relief!
This morning I was heading to the market for my week’s shopping and I just opened my latest meal plan, printed out the shopping list and headed for the store. Bliss.
One more thing…I promise. My daughter lives in Copenhagen and works at a very popular restaurant called Paté Paté. She was home for a visit in September and made us a spectacular dessert from a recipe she’d gotten from the chef there. It was a passionfruit posset that was to die for. Imagine how happy I was when I opened my 2 Nov plan. I’m so excited to try out your version!
Thanks for wading through all this. I just wanted you to know that while I’ve been loyal to you all these years I’m finally a full convert 😉

jules November 5, 2015

Wow Libby!
So lovely to hear from you… and I’m so excited to hear about you finally getting on board with the 5 ingredients approach.
Reading your comment actually brought tears to my eyes.
Funnily enough I’ve had a similar revelation this week as I’ve been following the meal plans for the last week and planning to do it for the whole month… And it’s making my life so much easier too!
Enjoy the passionfruit… it was one of my Mum’s fave desserts of all time.

Fiona Gavin September 24, 2015

So simple, yet so delicious. I can see this appearing often at my table. Thanks Jules.

jules September 24, 2015

So glad you liked it Fiona!