Killer Kale Gratin

kale gratin-2

Killer Kale Gratin

I used purple kale in the picture but any kale or leafy green will work.

This is my idea of a perfect one pot meal, although if you’re cooking for a particularly hungry carnivore you may need to serve it as a side to a roast chicken or juicy steak.

takes: about 45 minutes
makes: enough for 2-3

1 onion, chopped
6 rashers bacon, chopped
1 bunch kale, sliced
300ml (1 1/4 cups) double cream
2 large handfuls grated cheese

1. Preheat your oven to 180C (350F).

2. Heat a little oil in an oven proof pot and add bacon and onion. Cook over a medium heat until the onion is soft, about 10 minutes.

3. Add kale and cook for a few minutes, stirring so it starts to wilt down. Add cream and stir well.

4. Cover the pot and transfer to the oven. Cook for 15 minutes with the lid on.

5. Sprinkle over the cheese and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the kale is tender and the cheese golden. Serve.

Variations

vegetarian – replace bacon with sliced smoked tofu, red peppers (capsicum) or semi dried tomatoes or skip the bacon and serve gratin sprinkled to smoked or roasted nuts. Pine nuts or almonds are especially good.

different greens – most greens will work here. Cavolo nero is great or curly kale, English spinach, silverbeet (chard) or even chinese broccoli or broccoli rabe.

dairy-free / vegan – replace cream with coconut milk and sprinkle with pinenuts or almonds instead of the cheese.

different cheese – I used a comb of emmental, gruyere and parmesan but any melting cheese will work including cheddar.

carb lovers / more substantial – toss in some cooked short pasta before adding the cheese.

can’t find double cream? – just use whipping cream or heavy cream instead.

carnivore – serve as a side to a steak.

paleo (gluten, grain + dairy-free) – serve wilted kale with a steak and lemon.

short on time – skip the onion and serve kale and bacon with cream and cheese drizzled over. Skip the cheese melting.

Waste Avoidance Strategy

onion – pantry.

bacon – freeze it.

kale – can be sliced and frozen.

cream – OK to freeze.

cheese – hard cheeses will keep in the fridge in a container or plastic bag for weeks if not months. Can be frozen.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Michelle July 24, 2016

Oh my goodness! I made this today for hot lunches this week and it is absolutely sensational!! It barely made it into the lunchbox, I kept digging a spoon in!

jules July 28, 2016

Yum Michelle!

Frieda Jacobs November 18, 2015

euhm…what is a rasher bacon?

jules November 19, 2015

it’s a slice of bacon Frieda 🙂

Frieda Jacobs November 25, 2015

thanks Jules,
I used smoked bacon and it was a very nice late autumn plate!

jules November 26, 2015

Wonderful Frieda!
It’s great on cold Winter nights too

Natalie September 22, 2015

Delicious! We made this last night and loved it! One comment I have about this recipe is that I wonder if it’s necessary to start with oil in the pan/pot if bacon is the first ingredient you start cooking. (Of course it’s a different story if you substitute tofu or skip the bacon; the onions would need some help.) Also, if anyone wonders if it needs to be salted, I’d say it probably doesn’t, between the bacon and the cheese.

Anyway, delicious. We will be adding this to our kale-season rotation!

jules September 24, 2015

So glad you liked it Natalie!
You probably could get away with no oil if your bacon is fatty enough…
And yes it won’t need much (if any) salt with the cheese and the bacon but the only real way to tell is to taste and ask yourself if it tastes good? If it does no need for salt but if not, try adding some salt.

Ryanne Kamp March 16, 2015

Just made it. It is great! We will eat this more often. I hope the kale will not leave the shops here very soon (it is here a real wintervegetable). Thanks!

jules March 19, 2015

Awesome Ryanne!
Spinach is a good alternative if you can’t find kale 🙂

Matilda Ross October 11, 2014

Just pulled up the rest of my kale plants today as they were looking decidedly moth eaten. This recipe was all I could think of while I was working in the garden!

Matilda Ross October 14, 2014

Follow up, after having made the gratin. Killer is right! What a power house. I served it with an amazing piece of steak and the awesome was almost too much! I wimped out and only used half the cream and it still nearly put me in a coma, so might cut down to a lower fat content version next time.

jules October 16, 2014

Glad you liked it Matilda!
I can imagine with a steak it would have been pretty intense…
I eat it as a main course on its own.
And if you found it too rich, I’d just use less cream rather than using a lower fat cream as lower fat creams can curdle when cooked like this. Still yummy but a bit chunky if you know what I mean 🙂

jules October 16, 2014

I just pulled up the last of my kale Matilda and turned it into kale chips:

Might be an idea for next years kale bounty!

Carol Brenneisen August 22, 2014

Can’t wait to try this one! And continue to be annoyed that no one in the US has apparently caught on to the idea of double cream. Jules, what would you do without it? just use heavy cream in same amount? would that be too watery/runny? Maybe sub part heavy cream and part butter? thank you….

Carol Brenneisen August 22, 2014

Oh shoot. sorry – I just realized you actually already covered this above.

jules August 29, 2014

No probs Carol
I’m surprised no one is doing double cream in the US… it’s soo good!