No-Chop Butternut Soup

no chop butternut soup-2

No-Chop Butternut Soup

I just love the idea of putting the whole butternut in the oven to roast and soften into something manageable, rather than having to use all your muscle power to chop up the butternut for soup. I like to leave the skin on but get rid of the seeds before pureeing because I like the flavour of the skins but prefer to avoid the nutty texture of the seeds. If you prefer to use the whole butternut though, you can.

enough for: 3
takes: 70 minutes

1 butternut pumpkin (squash)
3 cups stock or water
1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
sour cream to serve

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Pop in the whole butternut and roast for about an hour or until it feels squishy when you touch it.

2. Halve the cooked butternut and scrape out the seeds and save them for snacks. Put the butternut flesh and skin, if you like, in a saucepan.

3. Add stock and some soy sauce and bring to the boil. Simmer for a few minutes.

4. Purée using a stick blender until as smooth as you fancy.

5. Taste and season with a little more soy if needed. Serve with sour cream or yoghurt.

VARIATIONS
vegan / dairy-free Рserve with cashew sour cream. Soak raw cashews in water for about 8 hours. Drain, then process in a food processor with enough fresh water to make a pur̩e. Season with a little salt and enough lemon juice to make it as tart as you feel like. OR use tahini instead.

short on time – replace butternut with 500g frozen peas.

other veg – feel free to use sweet potato, any pumpkin or winter squash. Other root veg roasted whole like this also work well in soups. Try parsnip, carrots, beets, onions, turnip, swede (rutabaga) or a combo.

carnivore – add bacon!

spice – a little ground cumin or coriander can be nice. Or a pinch of cinnamon. Chilli also works well with the sweetness of the butternut.

herbs – try a little fresh thyme or some sage added with the stock.

Thai – add in a few tablespoons of red curry paste and replace some of the stock with a can of coconut cream.

carb lovers / more substantial – serve with crusty bread & butter.

paleo (gluten, grain + dairy-free) – use coconut cream.

Waste Avoidance Strategy

butternut pumpkin (squash)
– keeps in the fridge for months.

stock – freeze it.

soy sauce – pantry.

sour cream – keeps in the fridge for weeks. Best not to freeze.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Lyn Inglish May 5, 2017

Here’s another variation. We had this recipe from our estate agent when we moved 15 years ago, and it has become a winter favourite. Roast butternut, remove ends and put whole thing in food processor, adding a couple of teaspoons (or more, some like it hot!)Thai green curry paste, a can of chopped tomatoes and a can of coconut milk or cream whichever you prefer. Whizz it all up and heat gently in a saucepan. You can add stock powder if you like but you don’t really need any more liquid. Ordinary pumpkin soup tastes bland now!

jules May 11, 2017

Yum Lyn! Thanks for sharing – I have some Thai curry paste in the fridge that needs eating up 🙂

Jennifer Lau-Bond October 3, 2016

This was very easy to make, and the flavor was nice if not particularly complex. I did throw in a couple sage and thyme leaves from my garden, but I felt like it was a little lean tasting, so I stirred in a couple pats of butter to add some richness. Next time I think I’ll try some of the other flavor combos you suggest. Thanks for a lovely simple recipe!

jules October 6, 2016

You’re welcome Jennifer!

Jane March 14, 2016

SO EASY! Love it! Its in the oven right now 🙂 Can’t wait to taste it!

jules March 17, 2016

Awesome Jane!
I’m going to be cooking a batch very soon now the weather is finally starting to cool down around here 😉

Kate Robertson July 21, 2014

This was possibly the easiest thing I’ve ever made – turned out great. A great base to add whatever flavouring you like to. And without even having to chop the pumpkin!

jules July 24, 2014

So glad you liked it Kate 🙂

Hilary July 21, 2014

Delicious! Today was the first day in a couple of weeks that it was cool enough to contemplate turning on the oven. So glad I did. I’ve never used the skin of butternut squash before, and was a bit hesitant to do so, but I’m very glad I did. I used the Thai-style mods suggested, and also included an onion, which I just threw whole beside the squash a bit of the way through roasting. Will definitely use this method again. 🙂

jules July 24, 2014

Wonderful Hilary!
So glad you enjoyed 🙂

Mrs Mack July 15, 2014

How much veg are we talking about here? I can’t get butternut and I’ve never seen one in person before, so I don’t know how big they are. If I were to replace it with another kind of squash or sweet potato, how much? 500g? More or less?

jules July 17, 2014

Hi Mrs Mack

I’m wishing I weighed my butternut! But about 1kg (2lb) other squash should do it… Sweet potato is ideal.

Just when you’re adding the stock start with less to make sure it isn’t too watery.

Let me know how you get on!

Mrs. Mack July 25, 2014

I ended up making this before seeing your comment… and I did 500g. Definitely wasn’t enough and we decided double would be better, so 1kg seems about right. I also did just two cups of broth. 1 Tbsp of soy sauce was too much for what I made though. I should have halved it since I essentially (accidentally) halved everything else.

I used kabocha (similar to acorn squash) and though I didn’t mind the green rind mixed in it, my toddler didn’t. Maybe next time I’ll only put half of the kabocha’s rind in, and the other half peeled. It does have a distinct flavor.

By the way, my friend told me she makes a very similar recipe to this, only instead of soy sauce she adds curry powder. That might be something you’d like, Jules!