Salt Crusted Burgers

15. salt crusted burgers

Salt Crusted Burgers

From ‘5 Ingredients 10 Minutes’ Print Book page 252

It’s hard to go past a good burger. I like to keep it simple by just using good quality beef mince (ground beef) and cooking them on a bed of salt to give a delicious meaty crust.

per person:
200g – 225g(7-8oz) minced (ground) meat

1. Heat a frying pan or skillet on a super high heat for at least 3 minutes. You want it smoking hot.

2. Meanwhile shape meat into burger patties.

3. Sprinkle a very fine layer of fine salt onto the pan and slide the burgers on top. Cook for 4 minutes then turn, adding a little more salt.

4. Once the burgers are turned, cook for another 4 minutes or until burgers are how you like them.

Variations

meat – beef is of course the clasic. But buffalo, lamb, pork, chicken or turkey are all good. Just make sure there’s a bit of fat so they aren’t too dry.

vegetarian – we’ll cover my favourite veggie burger recipe for meat free monday next week.

to serve on a burger bun – halve the amount of meat per person and make a thinner burger. Cook for just 2-3 minutes each side.

Leftover Potential?

The burgers will keep in the fridge for a few days. Reheat gently in a pan before serving.

Problem Solving Guide

too bland – Season with salt & pepper or serve with a well flavoured sauce such as ketchup or BBQ sauce.

too salty – cooking burgers on a salt crust this way, you need to be careful not to add too much salt. Next time use less, for now try scraping off the salty outer crust. Also make sure you don’t add salt to the meat when forming the patties – there will be enough seasoning from the crust.

too dry – next time try and use meat with a higher fat content.

burgers burning – cooking the burgers over a very high heat like this, you need to make sure they aren’t too thick, otherwise the middle won’t be cooked and the ourside will be burned.

burgers undercooked
– again its important to make sure you make your burger thin enough so it will cook in a few minutes. If you’re unsure whether they’re cooked enough or not, cut into the burgers with a knife to have a look. With practice you’ll learn when they’re done but for now the best way to know is to look!

Serving Suggestions

Great with ketchup, fires and a green salad or ‘slaw.

__

dashboard module headings module headings2 module headings3 module headings4 module headings5 other headings4

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Fi KP July 6, 2016

Made these tonight with some chopped steak mince from the freezer. What a GENIUS idea. I like plain un-frou-frou burgers so this was ideal. Might cut the salt down a bit next time or just turn them over onto the already bald bit of the pan. Thank you so much.

jules July 7, 2016

So glad you liked them!

Samantha Jewett May 30, 2016

We adore these burgers and have them at least once a week. My question is about the cooking method. I really like the crust the cast iron and salt give the burgers, but hate the grease splatter mess. Also, my stove exhaust fan is lousy at best, so grease is making its way up the wall and ceiling above the stove. All in all, a huge mess. Am wondering about baking or broiling these in the oven. Any suggestions before I experiment? Thanks!

jules May 31, 2016

Yes the mess is a pain Samantha! If you have a BBQ cooking outside is the best option.
You could bake but it takes longer and you don’t get the lovely crust. Broiling will be your best bet but don’t bother with the salt (do add some to the meat before forming the burgers though)… Just get the heat as hot as you can and the timing should be similar to cooking in the pan. Jx

Holly Perret January 8, 2015

I made these tonight with ground turkey, topped with grilled onions and havarti cheese, on toasted multi-grain panini bread. As a side I made the beans and cheddar recipe from your Soupstones meal plans. Absolutely delicious!

jules January 15, 2015

Sounds really delish Holly!
Thanks for sharing your inspiration!

Erica Coffey June 11, 2014

Question, Jules… I somehow happened upon this recipe while not logged in to SVCS. I guess it was on the original blog?? Anyway, in that recipe you added chives to the burgers and talked about about having them on English muffins with mayo & greens. Not a major difference, but now I’m wondering if I’m missing other info from other recipes. Are most of the recipes the same? Or should I try to locate them on the other “non-subscription” site as well? Thanks!!

jules June 12, 2014

Hi Erica!

All the free 5-Ingredients Stonesoup recipes from the blog are also included on the SVCS website. So there’s no need to go searching on the blog. If you do a search for burgers on the SVCS site you’ll get both versions.

Hope that helps 🙂

Mrs. Mack January 31, 2014

By the way, I did make this and it was great! I’ve not had very good luck with this technique before (hot frying pan and layer of salt for either burgers or steaks), so this time I tried cooking it on an electric griddle instead, as high as it would go. Turned out perfect. 🙂

In the meal plan you suggested putting a dollop of pesto on the burgers, which I thought might be a weird combo but I actually really liked it. I might make a habit out of that!

Mrs. Mack January 30, 2014

What is that red stuff you cook at the end?

jules February 6, 2014

In the video? Roasted peppers from another recipe… sorry it’s a bit confusing!